Thursday, October 28, 2010

Money Saving Technique

So, I'm working on a larger project....really wanting to use some printed tape to cover a chipboard box, but looking at the 1/2-inch roll that cost me $8 and thinking there's no way. So, then I got an idea...

Step 1 - This is the hardest part. Cut a non-stick craft sheet down to a size that will run through your printer. I cut a Ranger sheet in half so I now have two 9x15 pieces.

Step 2 - Cover the craft sheet lengthwise with strips of masking tape. I used 2-inch strips because I'm working on a larger project.
Step 3 - Run it through your printer, I printed Christmas sheet music on mine. Experiment with your paper settings to find one that uses less ink. DO NOT print as a photo, it will take forever to dry.

Step 4 - Heat set the printer ink. When dry, peel the strips off and use as desired.
Here's a photo of the beginning of my project:
Disclaimer. I assume no responsibility for any damage you may cause to your printer. I abuse my printer on a regular basis and therefore know what I can and can not do to it. Do not try this if you are unsure how your printer will handle this technique.

2 comments:

Diana Joy said...

Interesting idea. How did you heat set it?

Amanda Berens said...

I heat set the ink with just a hand held embossing gun and a little patience. An iron might work too with a little parchment paper on top.