Monday, July 14, 2008

Hating scrapbook classes...

.....kinda weird for a scrapbooker, huh? Maybe some explanation is necessary.

I love, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE ideas. I love the ideas that scrapbook classes are based on. But I hate being stuck in a chair with only the papers, paints, inks, tools, etc. that someone else thought should go into my project.

My favorite scrapbook classes ever have been the ones where someone presents an idea or gives you the base of a project and then gives you the run of the store to pick the papers, ribbons, and embellishments YOU like. Alas, I have only ever been to two such classes....

Classes that actually TEACH you something are okay. Like I once took a class that was based on making a layout that used quilling. I hated the layout, threw it away as soon as I got home, but in the process of making it I learned how to quill. I'll have THAT with me always, even if the layout has probably been recycled by now.

If I ever own a scrapbook store (...here's to the dream...) I want to offer classes that allow freedom in creating...for every student...even if we're providing the IDEA.

How do YOU feel about scrapbook classes? Am I missing something?

4 comments:

Paula Clare said...

I absolutely agree. I tend toward altered art more than scrapbooking, which means I'm ALWAYS wanting to do something to the page/paper the instructor is NOT comfortable with! I LOVE IT! I love to get an idea, and then run with it...I think it's the best way to add the "you" element to your layouts (or whatever!)

Thanks

Erin said...

i love technique based classes, but totally agree with you about the rest...i hate it when they tell me "no that embellishment goes over here, look at the example..."

one of the many reasons i don't take classes much anymore. i don't mind buying the kit with instructions, that way i can do it myself at home with all of my supplies and can do it MY way!

Kat said...

You are preaching to the choir, the same reason I don't go to "classes" much.
It's like the old adage, "if you give a man a fish".
I'd rather be taught a technique that I can use over and over again than do a "paint by number" layout that I hate.

BethW said...

Yup you're right. I like to learn new techniques, I love getting inspiration-but than I want to do my own thing. Hate when the instructor says "Well that's not quite what I had in mind". Right it's what I had in mind.